Monday, 10 February 2014

The news was good.

With the NHS waiting list for 'routine' appointments (my GP had marked my referral as routine as she couldn't feel the lumps) running at 12 weeks in this Board area I called the Friendly Society which I've been a member of for years (Benenden - £7.80 per month flat rate regardless of age or previous medical history) and they immediately ok'd diagnostic testing up to a maximum of £1500.

I saw a lovely Consultant on Friday 7th Jan and he instructed three tests: mammogram, ultrasound and needle biopsy.

I wasn't imagining the lumps (the GP's not very pleasant bedside manner had me checking continually in the run up to the consultation). They are real. And they are benign.

The biopsy results aren't back yet - but I've been told not to worry.

I am one of the lucky ones.

Workaholic Robert took time off and came with me on Friday.

It's a funny old thing how relationship complacency is bust by a wee bit of worry. We spend most of our lives together ignoring or taking one another for granted or pulling one another apart. Then discover that we are there for one another when it counts most.

When the testing was over we decided to go for lunch. The Nuffield Hospital is less than a mile from Glasgow Uni and the West End - my 2nd home for so long - and I found myself automatically driving down University Avenue and towards Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.

Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum - back entrance


Parking was difficult and we were about to give up and move on when a car moved on and we got their prime space.

We opted for the basement cafe and its table service and fresh good food.

The cafe conservatory


Our waitress was a punchy spiky Glaswegian - energising and uplifting. Nosy. In yer face. Happy. Laughing and joking. Slagging banter and self-deprecation a speciality.

We placed our order. Robert read his paper and I looked out of the modern glass cage we were sitting in - over the car park and up to the dark University spire.

Glasgow University from Kelvingrove


The cold sun spilled through greying clouds and lit up the modernist conservatory. And there was the naked truth of it all revealed to me.

I was in the right place. I was with someone I loved and who loved me. The generosity of our waitress was uplifting. This day was just the beginning. And I was overcome by such a stark and perfect and beautiful joy.





22 comments:

  1. Have been thinking about you. So glad you got good news. And yes, it is so easy to take the other for granted when life is going well but it's good to have a rock when we ned one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mairead. It's far too easy - isn't it. We've been together for nearly 25 years; we share a home and a family and all the usual mundanities; we work (probably too hard) and we forget about one another. Until we need one another. I've resolved to stop taking everything for granted... that's one of the lessons learned... :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad the news was good, Yvonne. And yes, the world and our relationships look very different when that threatening cloud has been lifted. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange how I hadn't realised that it was weighing on me - not until the Consultant said 'I really feel you've nothing to worry about'.
      I'd kept busy not brooding over the last couple of weeks. But having to face it head on on Friday wasn't the most pleasant thing to have to do.
      Thankfully it's nothing. I got to look into the darkness for a wee while. And that makes it easy to value what you have when the lights come back on. :-)

      Delete
  3. I was so pleased to hear your news. As for the basement café at the Kelvingrove it's a wonderful place to share time with someone you love. (Almost as good as V&C but, of course, totally different ; the Kelvingrove being in Glasgow and all that.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are courting such controversy GB! ;-) 'Almost as good...'!! Haha.

      Glasgow is me. I work in Edinburgh nearly every day - but it just doesn't feel as comfortable and easy as Glasgow.

      Mind you, V&C is a pleasure - almost perfect in fact... all it needs is a relocation to the West. :-D

      Delete
    2. Yes I was being a bit mischievous. There was a time - many years in fact - when I spent far more time in Edinburgh than in Glasgow but the only time I've been there in the last 10 or so years (that I can remember) was to meet someone for coffee. I spend a great deal of time in Glasgow though. Apart from the fact that it's where many of my friends are it is far closer emotionally to the city I was born in and the part of Scotland which has now been my home for the majority of my life.

      Delete
    3. It is the Scottish equivalent of Liverpool - thought that the very first time I visited Merseyside. Edinburgh is very fine of course - but just not 'home'... :-)

      Delete
  4. Such good news!
    Having someone there for you, without fail, is one of the best things in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. It was certainly a relief - and a reminder of how much there is to be thankful for. :-)

      Delete
  5. Fark! These things are the scariest. I had one ok one too but had to go on my own. You just get.. even more resilient. Not sure of this is a good thing. Glad you had you light-filled moment and have love by your side xxcat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary - yes! You went on your own... I considered doing just that but in the end my cowardice won. There was such a moment of clarity over lunch. We weren't even speaking - just doing our own thing after the relief of it all - and then this sudden thankfulness... and the knowledge that I liked my life and it was good...

      Delete
  6. Yes, yes, good news. I came out here to respond to the earlier, lesser-good entry and find this note. Medical tests are always heavy burdens to carry— even minor blood tests. Glad Robert went with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glen. It's been a strange few weeks. But the worst of it is over and I'm feeling ready to face most anything now... There was a bit of a scrum of folk offering to accompany me - my Mother, my daughter Megan and then my son Louis' girlfriend, Carrie (makes you feel loved!) - and I could see Robert thinking he'd give way to them all. But it felt better that it was him. I just had to let them all (especially my mother!) down gently... :-D

      Delete
  7. That is just outstanding news. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post. On a number of levels. The content and how you've written it Yvonne. Made me feel really good reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane. Thanks. :-) Relief is a good place to be writing from. :-)
      Hope you're not being battered too hard by the hideous weather down there!
      Thinking of you, Yx

      Delete
    2. Thank you.
      Suffering from cabin fever but we are the lucky ones as we live half way up a hill so no fear of flooding.
      Xx

      Delete
    3. Glad to hear that. Hills have their uses! I curse my hill on the way up to town - but love it on the way back down...
      Freezing cold and snowing here - but looking beautiful - very crisp and clean. I need to take some photos. Yx

      Delete
  9. Really happy to read your good news x

    ReplyDelete

Vintage Art of the Day

Shakespeare Quotes